Current time: 07-26-2017, 02:43 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TTFB & Page speed issue
06-27-2017, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 04:37 PM by datadiggers.)
RE: TTFB & Page speed issue
(06-27-2017 03:48 PM)GreenGecko Wrote:  When you do it for a living, that's not really true. Your comments on use of CDNs is only slightly true when using any common CMS - WordPress, Drupal, Silverstripe... the reasons being:

I do it for a living and that's exactly what I see. I think you mix web server with whatever backend that is responsible for generating dynamic content (PHP, Java, Scala, C# etc.). Those should be considered to be separate services just as database server is considered to be separate service from - for example - PHP. When you measure performance and scalability of web server and you mix those two you're not really measuring performance and scalability of web server but of part of application stack. In most cases bottleneck is in content generators, not in the web server itself. Hence my comment on comparing performance of Apache and Nginx.

(06-27-2017 03:48 PM)GreenGecko Wrote:  It is unlikely that anyone using a CDN would be in the category of the trivial users that you describe, who would probably be best using shared resources and have little need or use for optimisation or WPT - just installing a FPC plugin ( one that can compress/combine css, js and html as they all shrink by much more than a factor of 5 - as opposed to images which just don't! ) is probably the best that you can do.

CloudFlare is free, many paid CDN plans are as low as $20/mo. These days most of my (potential) clients already use CDN when they approach me, even if they're very small e-commerce site.

Pardon me for being picky, I suspect you know this and you oversimplified your comment, but FPC role is to cache dynamic content, not to combine JS/CSS (which these days is an anti-pattern anyway)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2017, 04:59 PM
(06-27-2017 04:36 PM)datadiggers Wrote:  
(06-27-2017 03:48 PM)GreenGecko Wrote:  When you do it for a living, that's not really true. Your comments on use of CDNs is only slightly true when using any common CMS - WordPress, Drupal, Silverstripe... the reasons being:

I do it for a living and that's exactly what I see. I think you mix web server with whatever backend that is responsible for generating dynamic content (PHP, Java, Scala, C# etc.). Those should be considered to be separate services just as database server is considered to be separate service from - for example - PHP. When you measure performance and scalability of web server and you mix those two you're not really measuring performance and scalability of web server but of part of application stack. In most cases bottleneck is in content generators, not in the web server itself. Hence my comment on comparing performance of Apache and Nginx.
My expertise is in open source servers, specifically PHP based CMSes. In this environment, it is almost never necessary to utilise more than a single server to host a website, and database + PHP mesh extremely well, one requiring CPU and the other Memory to perform well. There really is no problem measuring performance of each service - especially when each is kept separate as in nginx, php-fpm, and mysql. Any decent monitoring package will allow you to identify bottlenecks in the internals of each, and obviously the performance gain of grabbing database results directly from memory instead of via a TCP stack can be significant ( especially with websites that may make hundreds of DB queries per page ).

I can't comment on the internals of windows servers, as I stopped using them a decade ago.

(06-27-2017 04:36 PM)datadiggers Wrote:  
(06-27-2017 03:48 PM)GreenGecko Wrote:  It is unlikely that anyone using a CDN would be in the category of the trivial users that you describe, who would probably be best using shared resources and have little need or use for optimisation or WPT - just installing a FPC plugin ( one that can compress/combine css, js and html as they all shrink by much more than a factor of 5 - as opposed to images which just don't! ) is probably the best that you can do.

CloudFlare is free, many paid CDN plans are as low as $20/mo. These days most of my (potential) clients already use CDN when they approach me, even if they're very small e-commerce site.

Pardon me for being picky, I suspect you know this and you oversimplified your comment, but FPC role is to cache dynamic content, not to combine JS/CSS (which these days is an anti-pattern anyway)
CloudFlare may be free as in $$, but it's Google's definition of free. Which means you're part of the product. Technically the free levels are terrible, they have to proxy the html as they take everything over, which will be adding to the TTFB - you canna change the laws of physics. Most other things can provide a pretty decent service with expiry headers.

Even with http2 there is still an extra overhead in attempting to deliver hundreds of resources. Reducing them ( and even better storing on the server pre-compressed, along with decent expiry headers ) is always a good idea, as long as the compressed files are regularly used across the site. As there are fpc plugins which also offer these services, it's relevant to trial them and see what works for your site / infrastructure.

Anyway, you're allowed your opinion, just as I'm allowed mine.
07-07-2017, 12:03 AM
The only way to know for sure the effect of a CDN is...

1) Tune your LAMP Stack where your site can produce a minimum of 1000 reqs/second native (no CDN). My preference is much higher.

2) Then add a CDN + see the effect on site speed.

Only testing tells the tale.

Like help speeding up your site? Skype me @ ID davidfavor for a quote. Be sure to include your site name in your Skype Add Contact request.