The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Current time: 11-14-2019, 12:47 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enable browser caching of static assets
01-24-2010, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2010 02:49 AM by vajra.)
Enable browser caching of static assets
Newbie question here.

I've been searching round the internet on this one to understand what browser caching of static assets means as my site fails entirely.

As far as I can tell this involves setting the headers transmitted alongside (say) an image file by the site' server.

I have a fairly basic hosting plan serving .asp pages with iis. (I'm eventually going to rebuild the site using .php & apache, but that is another issue). Does this kind of hosting plan usually allow you to configure the caching headers? I've seen how to configure .php or .asp page headers, but not .gif or .jpg for instance. It looks like I need to confire iis which my host plan wouldn't let me do. (If you think it is likely that I can configure this, can anyone recommend a link with more info about how to do it?)

If I cannot do this. Does Serving static content from a cookieless domain basically have the same effect?

I could move my images to a linux server where I could change my .htaccess file. It looks easy to set up cache control there.

Do you think that is my best option? (I could kill 2 birds with one stone). Would I get a substantial increase in performance?

Here are my results (don't know how long you keep them for)

Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Enable browser caching of static assets - vajra - 01-24-2010 02:46 AM