Current time: 12-19-2018, 07:54 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google PageSpeed Insights last update .. what really happened !?
11-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Bug Google PageSpeed Insights last update .. what really happened !?
As a newbie, I did some really hard work with my website and although it is a crowdy images website as it is about mobile apps I could get a pretty good score on PageSpeed Insights by Google with a desktop score around 90+ and mobile score 80+ using some free WordPress plugins like speed ninja and some premium plugins like wprocket , I also took care with images optimization before uploading them.

after the last update although my desktop score is the same my mobile score went to the ground which is really bad as most of my visitors are from Android mobiles and iPhones, so what really happened in that update and why it did ruin my score
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2018, 02:40 PM
RE: Google PageSpeed Insights last update .. what really happened !?
v5 is just focusing on different metrics and is heavily weighted towards interactive and speedindex and first contentful paint metrics on 3G moto g4/nexus 5 device emulation while other pagespeed tools aren't

From v5 API this is the weighting used to determine the score

interactive 5
speed-index 4
first-contentful-paint 3
first-cpu-idle 2
first-meaningful-paint 1

Also see my reply in 2nd post at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...eXvLh8SoJM

Quote:If you have dynamic content served via advertising i.e. adsense then i can see PageSpeed Insights v5 results will vary especially on mobile as results are heavily weighted to time to interactive and speedindex and first contentful paint. So on mobile 3G emulated tests cpu power will factor into how fast all that extra javascript is processed. I guess in a way that is more real world results as the real world, your advertising will vary from page load to page load so amount of javascript will vary too.

Remember PageSpeed Insights v5 is just a guide and mobile test is on 3G slow 4x cpu throtlle emulated device. It doesn't mean much score wise if your specific site's visitor make up is majority 4G LTE fast speeds with average mobile device being on mid to high end powered mobile phones. Just use it as a guide for the metrics not the specific score.

If you need more consistency then check out https://www.webpagetest.org/ with variety of mobile devices and connection speed profiles form 2G, 3G, 4G, cable etc and geographic locations to test.

WPT is what I use for my gitools.sh script which is used to query APIs for WPT, GTmetrix and PageSpeed Insights v4 API and send my results to custom Slack channel https://github.com/centminmod/google-ins...api-tools. Haven't got around to updating gitools.sh for v5 API yet.

Hope that helps

George
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply