Current time: 10-16-2019, 08:16 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big media outlets not bothered?
06-17-2010, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 04:22 AM by sajal.)
Big media outlets not bothered?
Last one month or so... webpagetest.org has kinda become my most visited sites, helped me optimize my site ( thaindian.com )...

Yesterday I ran a comparison with various big media sites and compared load times to individual story page (targeting search engine traffic for news).

The results shocked me....

The big companies surely have the resources to make the web much faster.... but don't bother?

Agreed that my site looks butt ugly and desperately needs a makeover... bt even with a fancy design i don't expect to loose more than 0.5 or 1 second...

cdnplanet.com: We help you select the right CDN
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2010, 04:28 AM
RE: Big media outlets not bothered?
Sadly, yes. If you really want a chuckle in the news space, run a test for cnn.com - I'll probably hear your laughter from here.

You'll find that in a lot of the big companies, there is a strong push for "features" and customer-facing content and not much regard to the underlying technology. There are a few exceptions (and Google is the biggest case of that) but even with all of the evidence of the benefits of a fast site the time to look and work on it usually takes a back seat.
06-17-2010, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 04:40 AM by sajal.)
CNN was included in my comparison.... performed much better (read: less worse) than FOX...

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100616...1/details/ <-- how much effort would it need to combine all JS and CSS together? i guess few man hours to implement it into their system.... or 10 mins to do a one time manual thing....

I feel the big problem here is that the people in charge of the web stuff... themselves use a better browser like firefox or chrome... and visit their own site so often that they would have the static files in cache... so they arent aware about these issues... I was guilty of this exact same thing... Hats off to Google for making me realize that my site was slow...

06-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Or even to gzip it (5 minutes config):

990.4 KB total in compressible text, target size = 408.6 KB - potential savings = 581.9 KB

They are also usually on a REALLY fast connection really close to the servers. That and the prevelant use of Firefox by our dev's was why we built WebPagetest in the first place.
06-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Thai Media is much much worse in terms of site performance.... http://www.webpagetest.org/video/compare...C100615_FG

The only fast site there is notthenation.com which is a satire news site (not a popular site)...

Their target audience is not in USA, but it is as bad here as the tests...

I guess at the Barcamp I attend ill do a site performance clinic ..