Current time: 10-23-2019, 12:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Apps Engine as CDN Service
06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
RE: Google Apps Engine as CDN Service
Be careful putting too much faith in my CDN detection - I flag google.com (including CNAME records) a CDN check because they are largely but there may be cases where they do not.

How did the overall performance for your test sites compare? If you PM me I can set up a pull zone in my MaxCDN account to test them and compare the Google results to a known CDN (though it would be more telling if the Asia pop's were live for MaxCDN).

I'd be a little hesitant to trust anything I cared about to any of these services. Not knowing that there is a real company behind them or if Google is going to terminate their offering for violating TOS at some random point (not saying they are but that would seem to be a grey area). There's also the question of what happens when app engine comes out of beta or they start charging (though hopefully in that case you'll get more warning time to migrate).

If you decide to go this route I'd recommend taking their underlying python app (shouldn't be hard to recreate if they don't make it available) and run it in your own app engine instance. You'll get more control over the domain and url for the resources and more importantly, you'll get contacted by Google if they are concerned about your usage.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Google Apps Engine as CDN Service - pmeenan - 06-21-2010 09:01 AM