Current time: 07-24-2019, 12:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inline JavaScript Experiment
07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment
I see that Pat got there before me :-)

The only suggestion I would add would be to have the entry point to the alias stack be the first DNS request that will be called from your page. So it is worth having your CSS/JS files served from the same subdomain.

So in this instance you serve your CSS/JS files from cdn.green-watch.org, so I would configure the stack like so:

cdn -> images1.green-watch.org.
images1 -> images2.green-watch.org.
images2 -> images3.green-watch.org.
images3 -> images4.green-watch.org.
images4 -> images5.green-watch.org.
images5 -> images6.green-watch.org.
images6 -> images7.green-watch.org.
images7 -> images8.green-watch.org.
images8 -> images9.green-watch.org.
images9 -> images10.green-watch.org.
images10 ->MYSUBDOMAIN.netdna-cdn.com.

This way the first DNS request to cdn should logically force the recovery of all the aliases. I'm going to have to do some digging to confirm thats actually how the CNAME lookup will work.

With browsers that have more that 2 parallel connections and no blocking JS then any images in the main page might end up causing further DNS requests if served from different subdomains. But through some planning it should be possible to migitate this.

On the subject of reducing your document Complete time, I had a brief look at your test site http://www.green-watch.org/test4.cfm. It appears that you are resizing a number of your images in html/css. The elements that look to be pushing out your document complete time are images. These seem to be limited by transfer speeds, 900ms to transfer 30KB of image (the sears coupon). So making sure you serve up images that are the same size as required by your page will improve matters in this regard. Having said that the page is much faster on my home DSL connection only 169ms for the 30KB image which is more in line with a 2Mb/s DSL link (if my calculations aren't skewed). If these images are being served from a CDN, this download time seems a little slow.

Also are these coupons integral to the initial content of the page? Might it be worth asynchronously loading them and progressively enhancing your page with the graphics. This way you can kinda cheat on your document complete time, howver you will need to make sure that the site looks good in a "bare" state which then gets enhanced with the extra widgets and goodies.

Cheers
Cal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment - pmeenan - 07-10-2010, 02:50 AM
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment - pmeenan - 07-10-2010, 05:33 AM
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment - pmeenan - 07-11-2010, 01:42 AM
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment - calumfodder - 07-11-2010 05:18 AM
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment - sajal - 07-12-2010, 08:04 AM
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment - pmeenan - 07-12-2010, 02:19 AM
RE: Inline JavaScript Experiment - jklein - 07-13-2010, 12:19 AM