Current time: 09-23-2019, 02:52 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are my result ok or not? Newbie
01-21-2011, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2011 02:36 AM by pmeenan.)
RE: Are my result ok or not? Newbie
Yep, you need them to enable the expires module.

If yo set an expires time on an image (or other file like javascript) you are telling the browser that the file at that URL will not change for at least the amount of time for the expiration (1 year I think in the example I gave you) so the browser will save it on your user's disk and not ask you for it again until the expiration time comes.

If you decide you want to change your logo (or the site layout) yo can't just update the logo file because the browsers of your users that have visited your site will not ask for it since you told them it wouldn't change. You need to give the new file a new name and then change anywhere it is referenced (in the html for example) to make sure it points to the new file.

It gets really bad if you change your whole site functionality and layout to the point where the new HTML will only work with the new CSS, Javascript and images. If you re-use the same file names you could get into a situation where the browsers are loading the new HTML but are still using the old css, javascript and images.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Are my result ok or not? Newbie - didier - 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM
RE: Are my result ok or not? Newbie - pmeenan - 01-21-2011 02:36 AM